Thesis Outline
Self-Background (write out later)
-Short introduction on self history
-Looking at colleges in High School. Wanting to go into the games industry but finding no clear path at the time (Computer Science).
-Deciding to go to WMU
-Going through majors. Finding what fits me / self-exploration (Industrial Design)
-Change of plans (cancellation of major and looking at alternatives)
-Current residence in Detroit and attending CCS in animation.
Senior Year (currently writing)
-Why did I decide to attend this college?
-Why did I decide to go into animation?
-What I’ve been looking for? - Self declaration of intent behind work
-What am I hoping to achieve? – conclusion/final thoughts/hypothesis
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: Still developing Thesis
Short Introduction
I’m currently in my final year here at the College for Creative Studies and it feels like a long journey overall, but that might be due to the fact I have spent 3 years previously at a university before coming to this school. So six years of my life has dwindled away in my attempt for an undergraduate degree. I don’t know whether or not I would pursue a master’s degree. Frankly I don’t see myself as having enough professional experience to justify the cause. I don’t even know if I want to enter the entertainment field after this educational experience. The thought of being tied down by deadlines and contracts is not something I’m looking forward to. For now, let’s focus on what needs to be done, and worry about the future when that chance comes along.
Why did I decide to come to this school?
It’s funny to say what caught my attention about the College for Creative Studies. It was an in-class mishap of being nosey while students where talking about attending an IDSA conference that was held over at CCS. Beforehand, I’ve never considered the school, figuring it to be too artsy or a waste of time and money. But when I saw a picture of a Trans Design student’s cubical, I was amazed by the quality behind their drawings. It made me question my current situation and education, and to consider it if I ever had a second chance.
Well, that chance came. The university I was attending decided to cut its Industrial Design department by stating the school’s “lack of funds.” Two brand new buildings were being built on campus while I.D. students were informed on their current dilemma. My options were to graduate from a school that would no longer have representation or a legacy behind its degree, or transfer to Wayne, Kendall, or CCS. CCS was the least possible option, due to its cost, but seemed the most worth while due to its legacy. Somehow luck was on my side and my funds barely made it to attend CCS as a part-time transfer student. I lost a significant amount of credits, by switching from an engineering school to a school of fine arts, but in the back of my mind I was telling myself “this school will be worth the loss.”
Why did I decide to go into animation?
When I was in Industrial Design, I noticed I was more interested in drawing the human figure than sketching cars and toasters. I enjoyed coming up with stories for things that don’t exist. So while I’m compulsive for intricate ideas and designs behind my work, I also enjoy the looseness behind a doodle that lasts milliseconds on screen. The only regret I have in choosing this path is the lack of emphasis on a technical drawing skill set, which one will find in Illustration or in Industrial Design.
Having second thoughts?
Yes and no.
Yes, due to the fact stated above, there is no emphasis on a technical drawing skill set in the Animation department.
I don’t see an emphasis on conceptual design behind the details of a character or environment. I believe in precision down to the lace. I’ve been finding myself during my free time (if I can find any) doing lots of reference studies, in order to train my eyes to look for and remember details. Current conceptual design idols such as Syd Mead or Iain McCraig emphasize the importance behind continuously drawing life studies and drawing from reference, as the initial step in the conceptual design process. So I find myself endlessly drawing for school and drawing for myself, sort of tripling my drawing load than the standard student. Is this possible? I’m uncertain, but I do it anyway, because it’s what needs to be done to achieve my wishful desire in drawing ability.
No, to second thoughts, due to the fact I have found something in animation I did not anticipate, which is self-expression.
The ability to sketch fast and throw away drawings for something that’ll be projected onto a screen in a short period of time, provides a chance of freedom by not worrying about perfection behind a drawing. Instead, motion and gesture is emphasized through time (24 fps) and space (12-inch field guide), hitting on things that are important with the lesser details aiding in the background.
When I draw for animation, I let that blank sheet of paper seep into my mind, to play with the in-class objective that has been thrown onto me, and then splatter out from an inner hidden emotion. This emotion gets drawn out in a rough manner, causing the character I’m drawing to live in a brief moment before I run out-of-time due to a deadline. The interesting thing happens is when the audience gets to see this character I drew go through my inner emotion, and somehow they respond to it immediately by the rhythm of action.
This connection between hidden actor and imposing on an audience is something I have never cared for until animation. Animation provides a chance to express inner feelings and lusts into a workable format, where my imagination is free to roam among the paper’s parameters. The audience can join me in my journey when I’m finished with the animation, and we experience my inner-self together. The way they respond is like telling a good story, they’ll respond when you inspire them to, and I find great satisfaction in that.
What have I been looking for?
Things I find myself doing or applying myself to do when going through the creative process.
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment